You’ve finally decided to just go for it and get a tan at a tanning salon. But, the problem is that you don’t know how to find the best tanning salon near you. So, you type into Google, “tanning salon near me” or “tanning near me” or “tanning beds near me” or “tanning places near me” and hundreds of options pop up. And, you’re more confused than ever.
If this story sounds familiar, you need to read this article. It will explain all about finding the tanning salons near you that will give you the amazing tan that you’ve always desired. Read on to find out more.
- 1 What is a tanning salon?
- 2 What to look for in a tanning salon near me
- 3 Costs of a tanning salon near me
- 4 Costs of a tanning salon near me
- 5 Tips Specifically for Sunless Tanning
- 6 What to bring with you
- 7 Tanning salons near me vs home tans
- 8 Tanning Health Concerns
- 9 Conclusion
What is a tanning salon?
First thing’s first, let’s talk about what we mean when we say tanning salon. A tanning salon is a place where you go to receive a sunless tan. This can either be done using a tanning bed or booth or receiving a spray tan. The type of tan you receive will depend on the salon—some even provide both types of tan. To find a specific type of tan, you will need to search for a tanning bed near me or a spray tan near me.
Tanning salons can be standalone buildings or be part of a gym, spa, hotel, or another type of facility. Many of the cheap tanning salons near me will be part of chain stores like Palm Beach Tan or Xtreme Tan. Just because these are cheap tanning salons near me, they will still provide a great tan. Or, you could always choose to go to a family-run tanning salon.
What to look for in a tanning salon near me
Now that you know what a tanning salon is, it is time to discuss what to look for in a tanning salon near me. These things will help you narrow down the choices and find the best tan for your lifestyle and your money.
Type of tan
The first thing that you will need to decide is what type of tan you want to receive. You will either find tanning beds near me or spray tans near me. Sometimes you will even find tanning salons near me that provide both types of tans.
A spray tan is a type of fake tan. In this process, no ultra-violet rays hit your skin. The browning comes from the chemicals in the tanner instead. This is the safest way to tan as the chemicals used all have to be tested safe for humans and are monitored by the government.
A tanning bed or booth, on the other hand, does use UV rays—mostly UVA—to create the browning effect in your skin. Just as sun tanning has risks associated with exposing your skin to UV radiation, so does tanning in a bed or booth.
Both spray tans and tanning beds or booths provided by the tanning salon near me will provide beautiful brown color to your skin. The type of tan you choose will depend on your lifestyle and preferences.
Most tanning salons near me will provide some of the products that they use for sale, plus others as well. If you already have tanning products that you like to use, you should find a tanning salon near you that carries those products. This will ensure that the products you are buying are the correct ones and not counterfeit.
If you have never tanned before and are unsure about what products you need, any employee at a tanning salon near me will be able to help you. Some of the largest and best-known brands are Australian Gold, Designer Skin, California Tan, VersaSpa, Swedish Beauty, and Mystic Tan. But, there are many others on the market as well. We recommend doing your own research and then talking to your salon’s tanning professional in order to find the products that will work best for your skin.
Additionally, some of the tanning salons near me that you will find will provide other skincare products that are not tanning related and nail and toenail polish. Finally, you may find goggles, towels, swimsuits, and other tanning paraphernalia in tanning salon stores.
While you may just be looking for a tanning salon near me that only does tans, you may find one that includes other services as well. These services may include manicures and pedicures, facials, massages, wraps, red light therapy, and saunas. The goal of these locations is to give you a relaxing and fun tanning salon experience.
If you only want to have a tan, then finding a tanning salon near me that has a lot of extra services will not be that important. But, if you are someone who likes to make a day of it, then finding a tanning salon near you with extras will be essential.
The best tanning salons near me will have specialists who have certifications in their field. Even in the world of indoor tanning, there are professional certifications. The most common is the certification given out by The National Tanning Training Institute (NTTI). But, there are others such as Smart Tan’s UV Tanning Certification and the American Tanning Institute (ATI).
All of these certifications are regulated at the state and county level as well. You can check each organization’s website to see the regulations and requirements for your location.
Other spa specialties like massage have their own certifications as well. It is always best to go to a professional that has a certification or is studying to receive their certification. This piece of paper tells you that the professional is knowledgeable and dedicated to doing the best job possible.
Costs of a tanning salon near me
The cost of getting a tan in a tanning salon near me varies greatly depending on the services offered, how long a visit you plan, and whether you are spray tanning or using a tanning bed/booth. Also, most places offer a discounted rate on a bulk buy or membership.
Here is a general breakdown of the costs of a tanning salon near me.
Spray Tans: From $8-$40 per visit depending on how long the tan lasts and the products used.
Sun Tans: $10-$20 per visit.
Memberships: These are usually on a monthly basis and may cost a startup fee of around $20 plus a monthly fee of between $15 and $100.
Also remember to look for tanning specials near me too, for you never know if your favorite tanning salon is giving a discount. Some tanning salons will even have days of the week that are cheaper than others. Searching the tanning specials near me is a great way to find cheap tanning salons near you and to always look brown and beautiful while on a budget.
Finally, if you plan on booking any other services at the tanning salon near you, you will have to pay for those as well. Some tanning salons may have group pricing for multiple services at once, but most require you to pay a la carte for each service. The cost of the extra services is extremely variable depending on what type of service you are booking. We recommend checking out your preferred tanning salon’s website or calling them for accurate pricing.
Costs of a tanning salon near me
Once you have found a good tanning salon near me, it is time to prepare for your first appointment. There are a number of steps to take to make sure that you get the best tan possible. The following applies to both sunless and UV tans
- Know your skin type and the level of tan that will work for your skin type. If you are not sure about this, ask your tanning salon professional.
- Do not tan more than once per day and limit your tanning time to 1-3 days per week. This is especially important for people tanning using UV radiation.
- Shave and remove unwanted hair before your tanning appointment so that no blemishes will occur in the color of your tan.
Tips Specifically for Sunless Tanning
If you are sun tanning or using a tanning booth or bed, there is not much to prepare for before your appointment. But, if you are going to receive a spray tan, there are a few more steps to take.
- Do not shower the night before or the morning of your spray tan. Most spray tans are water-soluble and having even moist skin can cause them to not adhere properly.
- Do not put on any lotion, makeup, deodorant, or other products on your skin before your appointment. You should also not use these products immediately following your spray tan either. Wait until the tan has completely dried on your skin before applying these products.
- Wear loose-fitting clothing of any color other than white. This ensures that your clothes will not get ruined or create lines in the tan.
- Because careful about getting wet in the first 8-24 hours of your tan, water can cause the solution to run.
- Wait 8-12 hours before showering or washing your face.
What to bring with you
When you go for your appointment at the tanning salon near me, there are a few items that you should plan on bringing. If you forget any of these, that is okay, but you will likely have to buy them from the salon.
Protective goggles. Goggles will protect your eyes from damaging UV rays in tanning beds and can keep spray tan solution from getting in your eyes. They are an indispensable item to have. Most salons will also have sanitized goggles for you to use, but many people prefer to bring their own.
If you are planning on wearing a swimsuit while tanning, you will need to bring it with you or wear it to your appointment.
Tanning lotion will keep your skin moist when using a tanning bed near you. If you are receiving a spray tan, do not apply lotion before your appointment. However, you can use an after-tan lotion—just make sure to discuss with your tanning salon professionals when you can apply it.
Other items you may want to bring include deodorant, hair bands, towels, SPF balm for your lips, a hairbrush, and the correct products for tanning your tattoos—if you have any.
If you are concerned about what to bring, or if you have missed any important items, your tanning salon near me choice will be happy to help. Just give them a call and they will let you know the best items to bring to your tanning appointment.
Tanning salons near me vs home tans
All of the tanning salons near me options can be very overwhelming, and I may be wondering whether it would just be easier to give yourself a home tan. Both options have major pros and cons that you should consider before committing to either. Here we’ve listed the top pros and cons for both using a tanning salon near me vs. tanning at home.
- Tanning salons near me have professionals that are highly trained in indoor tanning. They can answer any questions you may have and will provide an even and professional-looking tan.
- Most tanning salons near me will give custom tans, which are specifically tailored to your skin.
- Going to a tanning salon can be relaxing and therapeutic for many people. Getting pampered for an hour or two is never a bad feeling.
- Tanning salons have more control over the tanning process than you would. This can result in a better and more professional-looking tan.
- Tanning salons near me can get expensive, especially if you visit them often. However, most salons will have bulk prices that cut the costs down a little.
- You should not tan more than once per day or a few times a week when you use a tanning salon, which means your tan will not grow as fast.
- Using a tanning bed regularly has been shown to increase the possibility of skin cancer. There are no health risks associated with spray tans.
- In general, self-tanning will be much cheaper than tanning regularly in a tanning salon.
- You can find a wide variety of products for self-tanning in any drugstore and online, which allows you to try a lot of options and find the ones that you enjoy the best.
- Spray tanning is a better option for fair-skinned people who burn easily. You can choose to do this at a tanning salon, but at home is much more convenient and affordable.
- You are (likely) not a tanning expert, so you may make mistakes and cause unsightly streaks or blotches.
- Home tanning can be messy. If you don’t want to clean up a mess, then you should go to a tanning salon.
- Self-tanning products are often not as strong or as good as the ones used by tanning salons. Thus, you may never be able to give yourself a tan that looks like it was done by a professional.
Tanning Health Concerns
If you have considered tanning you have likely heard about the health concerns surrounding it. Tanning in the sun and on a tanning bed has been associated with a higher risk of skin cancer. Tanning from UV radiation has also been linked to premature skin aging, immune suppression, eye damage, and allergic reactions. These dangers should not be taken lightly, which is why you should follow the recommended guidelines for length of tanning time and its frequency.
Another way to get that tanned look you crave while removing all of the above health dangers is to receive a spray tan. Most tanning salons near me provide spray tan services as well as tanning beds or booths. You can also give yourself a spray tan. If you are worried about the potential health concerns associated with tanning or if skin cancer runs in your family, you need to consider a sunless tanning option. We recommend discussing your options with a tanning salon professional.
Having a professional do your tan can be an amazing experience. It ensures that your tan goes on evenly—if receiving a spray tan—and can make your tan last longer and look better than if you did the tan yourself. This alone should be a reason for you to check out a good tanning salon near me today.
Plus, by following our handy guide, you will never have to worry about finding a good tanning salon ever again. We have given you all of the tools you need to find a great tanning salon near you. Whether you want a quick and affordable or if you prefer to spend the day getting pampered, this guide can help you find the right tanning salon.